In addition to the Bulldog Marching Band, there are many other bands available at Fresno State. The Fresno State Band program is under the leadership of our Director of Bands, Dr. Gary P. Gilroy. Below are a few of the musical opportunities available.
- Wind Orchestra is an organization that enrolls the most proficient wind and percussion students on the campus. Auditions are held in the first week of each semester. The CSU Fresno Wind Ensemble made their Carnegie Hall debut in 1996. They were invited to perform for the American Bandmasters' Association conference in Las Vegas in March of 2001. The Wind Ensemble was featured on a CD of the wind works of the English composer Philip Wilby on Doyen Records, and the group performed in Beijing and Shanghai in June of 2000. In April 2004, the group traveled to New Orleans, and the summer of 2006 they traveled to England. In February 2009, the Wind Orchestra were featured performers at the California Band Directors Association All-State Conference. April 2010 they were the premier performing ensemble at the Percy Grainger International Wind Festival in Chicago. Please follow this link to find the Wind Orchestra website. Conducted by Dr. Gary P. Gilroy
- Symphonic Band is an organization that enrolls students from all major fields of study on the campus. The band meets during each semester. Conducted by Dr. David C. Fullmer
- Jazz Orchestra & Jazz Ensemble are jazz labs that consist of a standard big-band instrumentation. Auditions are held in the first week of each semester. Jazz Orchestra Directed by Dr. Alan Durst - Jazz Ensemble Directed by Craig VonBerg
- Bulldog Beat is composed of two groups, Uptown and Downtown, which are jazz/funk/show bands much like those in our country's theme parks. Large scholarships are offered to the members of these prestigious groups. They perform at community events, men and women's home basketball games, and all home volleyball games. Members of these groups are also required to participate in marching band. The instrumentation is determined each year by the talent that is discovered through scholarship auditions. Directed by Dr. David C. Fullmer - Graduate Assistant Directors - Student Directors
- Fresno State Basketball Band is a pep band that is composed of the Bulldog Beat along with additional members of the marching band. These additional members are typically from the marching band and if an overwhelming number on a certain instrument are interested, auditions may be held. Directed by Dr. David C. Fullmer - Graduate Assistants.